Acts 1: 7-8

He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Motherhood and Other Stuff

Well today I think I can say that as a mother I have taken a giant step into assimilating into the Romania culture and it feels really good. First- I took the boys to get there first haircut in Romania. I am not quite ready to try the clippers myself. The three of us went to the Frizarie (hair cut place) this morning. My limited Romanian doesn't include many hair cut words but I do know what the words for scissors and clippers are. In the states I keep Liam's hair a little longer than Nolan just because his is blond and looks bald when I cut it too short. But- I had no choice here as I couldn't say 3 on the side and 4 on the top. They wouldn't understand it anyway. Both boys got their hair cut pretty short and sat still the whole time.

After lunch they had a playdate of sorts with the children of our property manager (Emil). Emil's wife Liana is a very sweet Romanian women and she loves the boys. She has two boys of her own (Lian and Andre) who are a few years older that Nolan. They asked Nolan and Liam to play soccer with them. Believe it or not we played right on the street. When a car came everyone just yelled "masina" (car) and everyone moved off the road. I played with them and we had a great time. Stephanie Levan was right when she said children would help open doors here in Romania.

After soccer Liam wanted to go to Andre's house. We played Europolis which is the European version of Monopoly. The cities of Romania are on the cheap street. I had to go because I had language lessons but the boy's did not want to go so I left them there for an hour. Big step for me because the boys don't speak Romanian and Liana and her boys speak very little English. It didn't matter because children have a great way of communicating through their expressions. I went to pick them up and they were having a great time. They were invited to come play soccer tomorrow after school. God has really blessed us with a Romanian family as friends and it is great that the boys are making new friendships.

On another note- I am trying to get to know the adults in the Tsigmandru church and God has laid it on my heart to pray with them at times. One of the men from the village is having heart surgery on Thursday and wants people to come to Tigre Mures to pray with him. Roberta asked if I would like to go along with her to the hospital and pray for this man. Please keep him in your prayers as well.

Maurice had a productive day as well. While I was out forming relationships he was painting at the Sighisoara church. There is so much to be done here at this church that Maurice is going to spend one day a week at the Sighisoara church doing projects.

Keep the boys in your prayers. School starts tomorrow and we all need to get up earlier than we have over the summer. - Karen

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hi guys, I finally found your blog. Good to hear that things are going well. yeah for the start of school!! Josh and Kaleb started today and I am happy to get back to a schedule. I remember growing up in Germany, you learn quick as a kid how to get around the language issue. Your boys will probably be speaking better Romanian than you soon! Maurice, I sent an email about blog stuff. Hope it helps, let me know if you need more.
Keep in touch! Blessings to you all.
Tracy